The part known as the sink drain flange is a metal component of the drain that can be found at the bottom part of the sink. The flange is connected under the sink to a piece of plumbing known as the tailpiece. If the sink has a popup stopper, it is attached to the said part. Another part connected to the tailpiece is the p-trap, which is a curved pipe section. You will want to take both the p-trap and tailpiece out if you wish to take the sink drain flange out for replacement or repair.
1. If your sink has a stopper, then take it out so the flange can be accessed. Next, open the stopper and try pulling it out. If it does not budge, this is because it is fastened to the bottom part of the drain lever.
2. Get under the sink, making sure of following the drain lever to the spot where it makes its way into the tailpiece under the sink. You need to see the lever pass a coupling at the back portion of the tailpiece. Remove the coupling by unscrewing it, and if it is difficult to remove using a screwdriver, use a pair of pliers. Pull the lever valve that is holding the popup stopper, and then have the stopper removed from the sink.
3. Put a bucket under the p-trap. Then, using a wrench, loosen the p-trap couplings. Pull it out afterwards. Any water in the p-trap should then be dumped into the bucket.
4. Remove the jamb nut, which can be found at the top portion of the tailpiece (which is located under the drain flange), by unscrewing it. Slide this part and the rubber washer located above it from the tailpiece.
5. Turn the tailpiece counterclockwise to take it out.
6. Have a wooden block placed under the drain flange. Tap this wooden block using a hammer to remove the flange from the sink.
While doing this part of the process of replacing or repairing the sink drain flange, you may encounter other sink plumbing problems. If you do encounter another sink plumbing problem, and you do not know how to deal with it, contact a plumber for assistance.
To ensure that you hire a skilled plumber with the right equipment and the required licenses, the most important thing you need to do is to look beyond the Internet and yellow pages for recommendations. Ask your friends or neighbours if they know someone or a company capable of fixing a wide range of plumbing problems, too. Once you have made a list of companies or individual plumbers worth hiring, call and ask previous customers about their performance in previous plumbing projects, and then make your decision once you know how they are like with customers.